The goal of the HOCHSCHWARZWALD VERTICAL UP is to conquer the original Worldcup-Track, which spans 1,800 meters and 500 vertical meters, vertically and as quickly as possible.
The “kicker” to the whole story is the rules– in fact, there are none!
The choice of equipment is open so long as everything is powered by your own muscles (no motors), as is the choice of route, on the Worldcup-track.
- Runners with spikes have an advantage, just as long as the course is hard and provides a firm grip …
- Cross-country skiers using skins have an advantage, but without the right technique …
- Ski mountaineers / ski tourers have an advantage, but can they eke out enough of an advantage when they come to steeper terrain …
- Racers on snowshoes and crampons: have an advantage, but can they convert that into speed on flatter ground …
THE BEST ENDURANCE; BEST TECHNIQUE TOGETHER WITH THE BEST EQUIPMENT WILL ULTIMATELY WIN!
Date: Saturday 17th January 2018
Divisions: “Speed Division” and “Rucksack Division”
Course Name: Fahl-Worldcup-Track
Starting elevation: 950 m
Finishing elevation: 1.450 m
Elevation gain: 500 vertical meters
Course length: 1.800 m
Max./Min. gradient: 75, % / 11 %
Lighting: head lights, while the course hotspots are well illuminated
Suggested equipment: touring skis, cross-country skis, running shoes with spikes, crampons, snowshoes, ski poles, barefoot,…
This division is the ultimate discipline in the HOCHSCHWARZWALD VERTICAL UP!
Each athlete takes on the original, legendary worldcup-track as quickly as possible, with a free choice of equipment. Everything is allowed, as long as racers use nothing but the strength of their own muscles.
Timekeeping and official standings: YES
Prizes: men’s/women’s divisions / gift certificates, starter package
This division is the most fun competition in the HOCHSCHWARZWALD VERTICAL UP!
Each participant gets to take on the track at their own tempo, using whatever equipment they prefer.
Only condition: They must carry a rucksack incl. contents (or however much is left over) all the way to the finish line.
Timekeeping and official standings: timekeeping only, final results are posted alphabetically. Winners are those participants who finish closest to the average time clocked by all starters!
Prizes: Starter Package incl. rucksack contents
This year, once again, there will be a super grand prize! (in recent years: a weekend of ski touring or mountain biking, 2 nights for 2 people at a 4**** hotel, Suunto Ambit3)
Special – Competitions
Who is the fastest in the Speed Division from the region Hochschwarzwald? – Who will be crowned Vertical Up District Winner.
Team/club with the most starters in the entire field wins € 500,00.
Participants with the most original costumes receive a great prize: Bergzeit coupons, Huber Zwickl beer, ….
Important: All participants who wish to be considered in the final results have to register at the race office by no later than 2.30 p.m. on Saturday!
Information for Participants
Start numbers/starter packages can be picked up on Friday from 5 p.m. – 7 p.m.Saturday from 10 a.m. – 2.30 p.m.!
Please be sure to bring your registration confirmation and liability disclaimer to check-in!
Race office: Saturday 17.02. 10 a.m. – 3 p.m. starting area
Results list: You can track results live on the Internet – Times appear immediately after crossing the finish! –> LIVE TIMEKEEPING
Timekeeping chip: all-Inclusive – total cost is included in the entry fee!
The chip is integrated into the actual starting number. IMPORTANT: Don’t mistake your starting number for a luggage tag!!!
- Head light (the most important sections of the course are lit up)
- Rucksack (for the “Rucksack Division”)
- Optional: Snowline spikes
Starter Package: We are again putting together a great starter package for all race entrants. You are guaranteed to be pleasantly surprised!
Spectators/Support Personnel: please refer to “Spectator info”
Race briefing: 3:15 p.m. in the starting area, mandatory attendance.
- Leave bags by no later than 3:00 p.m. next to the start-area
- Property must be identified by a tag/number from the starter package (not liable for damage/loss)
- Please do not hang anything on the outside of the rucksack!
Start: 3:30 p.m. at the finish from the Fahl-Worldcuptrack
- In the finish area: Tea and Red Bull
- In the Fundorena: Pasta-Party
Prize ceremony: ca. 6:15 p.m. at the Fundorena (attendance required – prizes will only be awarded to those who are present). Prize money may be issued only with identity card.
Ride down the mountain: Only on the cable car – last lift departs at 05:45 p.m. (free for all participants. Returning to the valley on skis or using other sporting equipment is strictly prohibited and will result in a life-long ban from the VerticalUp!
- Lift fare for this evening € 15,00 per person (round trip) available directly at the Rothausbahn ticket window
- Season passes are accepted
- Lift runs up the mountain until 7 p.m., last ride down is at 7:00 p.m.
- Always on top of the action with the help of our emcee
- Start: Finish Fahl-Worldcuptrack 3:30 p.m.
PLEASE NOTE!! The first athletes are expected at the finish at around 3:50 p.m.
|ascent for spectators||cable car|
|Kinds Vertical Up||starting area|
|Vertical Up||starting area|
|first athletes at the finish||cable car|
|price giving ceremony||barracks|
You can also registrate at the 17.02., 10 a.m. – 3 p.m. at the race office in the starting area.