The legendary sporting mecca, Kitzbühel, is the home / adopted home / training center and retreat for countless sports figures, alpine and cross-country skiers, triathletes, runners, mountain bikers, road bikers, ski tourers, mountaineers, and many others – but some sportsmen and -women are the most legendary and fastest of them all, participants in the STREIF VERTICAL UP on 25.02.2017.
The goal of the STREIF VERTICAL UP is to conquer the original “Streif”, which spans 3,312 meters and 860 vertical meters, vertically and as quickly as possible.
The “kicker” to the whole story is the rules – in fact, there are none!
The choice of equipment is open so long as everything is powered by your own muscles (no motors), as is the choice of route, on the Streif (“Speed Division”) or on the “Family Streif” (“Rucksack Division)!
- Runners with spikes have an advantage, just as long as the course is hard and provides a firm grip …
- Cross-country skiers using skins have an advantage, but without the right technique …
- Ski mountaineers / ski tourers have an advantage, but can they eke out enough of an advantage when they come to steeper terrain …
- Racers on snowshoes and crampons: have an advantage, but can they convert that into speed on flatter ground …
THE BEST ENDURANCE; BEST TECHNIQUE TOGETHER WITH THE BEST EQUIPMENT WILL ULTIMATELY WIN!
Date: Saturday 25th February 2017, 6:30 p.m.
Divisions: “Speed Division” and “Rucksack Division”
Course Name: Streif or Family Streif (Rucksack Division)
Starting elevation: 805 m
Finishing elevation: 1665 m
Elevation gain: 860 vertical meters (click to view the elevation profile)
Course length: 3,312 m
Average gradient: 27 %
Max./Min. gradient: 85 % / 2 %
Lighting: head lights, while the course hotspots are well illuminated
Suggested equipment: touring skis, cross-country skis, running shoes with spikes, crampons, snowshoes, ski poles, barefoot,…
Current course records:
- M: Christian Hoffmann, AUT, 0:30:29,1 (2016)
- W: Andrea Mayr, AUT, 0:39:41 (2014)
Speed Division – Powered by Raiffeisen Bank Kitzbühel
This division is the ultimate discipline in the STREIF VERTICAL UP!
Each athlete takes on the original, legendary Streif ski run as quickly as possible, with a free choice of equipment. Everything is allowed, as long as racers use nothing but the strength of their own muscles.
Timekeeping and official standings: YES
Prizes: 1500 € purse each for men’s/women’s divisions / gift certificates, starter package
This division is the most fun competition in the STREIF VERTICAL UP!
Each participant gets to take on the Family Streif Vertical Up at their own tempo, using whatever equipment they prefer.
Only condition: They must carry a rucksack incl. contents (or however much is left over) all the way to the finish line. The rucksack contains the starter package.
Timekeeping and official standings: timekeeping only, final results are posted alphabetically. Winners are those participants who finish closest to the average time clocked by all starters!
Prizes: Starter Package incl. rucksack contents
This year, once again, there will be a super grand prize! (in recent years: a weekend of ski touring or mountain biking, 2 nights for 2 people at a 4**** hotel)
District “Hogmoar” Winner – Powered by Gerberei Niederkofler
Who is the fastest in the Speed Division from the Kitzbühel district? – Who will be crowned Vertical Up Hogmoar 2017? Win coupons for Niederkofler (1-2-3 M/W) and enjoy the honor of boasting the one, the only title of VerticalUp-Hogmoar-Ranzen (1st place M/W). Requirement: must be a permanent resident of Kitzbühel
Team-Competition – Powered by Kitz Guide
Participants with the most original costumes receive a great prize: Bergzeit coupons, Huber Zwickl beer, ….
Important: All participants who wish to be considered in the final results have to register at the race office by no later than 5 p.m. on Saturday!
Start numbers/starter packages can be picked up on Friday from 5 – 7 p.m. and Saturday from 2 – 5 p.m.!
Please be sure to bring your registration confirmation incl. barcode and liability disclaimer to check-in!
Race office: Friday 25.02. 5 – 7 p.m., Saturday 27.02. 2 – 5 p.m.; K3 Kitz Kongress – Hahnenkamm-Bahn;
Results list: You can track results live on the Internet – Times appear immediately after crossing the finish! –> LIVE TIMEKEEPING
Timekeeping chip: all-Inclusive – total cost is included in the entry fee!
The chip is integrated into the actual starting number. IMPORTANT: Don’t mistake your starting number for a luggage tag!!!
- Head light (the most important sections of the course are lit up)
- Rucksack (for the “Rucksack Division”)
- We expressly recommend wearing a safety helmet (especially in the “Speed Division”) – helmets are available to borrow (in the race office)
- Optional: Snowline spikes can be purchased at a discount price of EUR 40 from the race office
Starter Package: We are again putting together a great starter package for all race entrants. You are guaranteed to be pleasantly surprised!
Arrival: click to go to the route planner – free parking is available right at the Ganslern chairlift, Pfarrau car park, or at the Hahnenkamm lift
Spectators/Support Personnel: please refer to “Spectator info”
Race briefing: 6:15 p.m. in the starting area, mandatory attendance.
- Leave bags by no later than 5 p.m. in front of the Hahnenkamm Cablecar
- Distributed at the Hochkitz – big seminar room – access is via the left side entrance on the viewing platform (not the main entrance!!!)
- Property must be identified by a tag/number from the starter package (not liable for damage/loss)
- Please do not hang anything on the outside of the rucksack!
Start: 6:30 p.m. right next to the Hahnenkamm finish house
Courses: “Speed Division” – original Streif (red) – compulsory, “Rucksack Division” – family Streif (yellow) – recommended
KMZ file for Google Earth
- Seidlalm refreshment station: tea
- In the finish area (at the teepee tent): Red Bull and tea
- Please separate the food & drink ticket from your luggage tag!
Phone number for the race office: 0664 7644008 (call if you give up/drop out of the race early)
Changing clothes: opportunity at the Hochkitzbühel – big seminar room
Massage: at the K3 Kitz Kongress, provided by Balance-Physioteam
Prize ceremony: ca. 9:30 p.m. at the K3 Kitz Kongress (attendance required! – prizes will only be awarded to those who are present)
Ride down the mountain: only on the Hahnenkamm lift – last lift departs at 09:00 p.m. (free for all participants) – Returning to the valley on skis or using other sporting equipment is strictly prohibited and will result in a life-long ban from the VerticalUp!
- Special lift fare for this evening € 15,00 per person (round trip) available directly at the Hahnenkamm ticket window
- Season passes are accepted!!!
- Lift runs up the mountain from 4 p.m. until 9 p.m. Last ride down is at 09:00 p.m.
- Always on top of the action with the help of our emcee Bernd Krainbucher
- Start: Red Bull Restaurant 6:30 p.m.with a volley fired by the local folk-costume group along with a “torchlight cordon” provided by the children of Kitzbühel Ski Club, Triathlon, HS Kitzbühel,…
- Hot spots for spectators: Red Bull House, Mousetrap, Hahnenkamm start house
- Prizes awarded at K3 Kitz Kongress beginning at about 9:30 p.m.
- Free parking right by the Ganslern chairlift – check out the route planner – or Pfarrau car park – parking also available at the Hahnenkamm lift
PLEASE NOTE!! The first athletes are expected at the finish at around 7 p.m.
|4 p.m. –
|Lift rides up the mountain for support personnel & spectators (no lift service up the mountain between 5 and 5:45 p.m.)||Mountain lifts|
|6.30 p.m.||Start of both race divisions||Start area|
|7.00 p.m.||Racers in the 1st Speed Division begin to arrive||Finish area|
|9.30 – 10 p.m.||Prize ceremony||K3 KitzKongress|
|9.00 p.m.||Last lift ride down the valley||Mountain lifts|
What originally began as a crazy idea amongst a few friends in December 2010, has since developed into an exciting event that has made quite a name for itself, now enjoying an ever greater cult following.
Even at the first edition of the VERTICAL UP back in 2011, 191 racers from 4 nations lined up at the start. In 2012 we boasted 333 racers, while in February 2013 we were privileged to welcome 429 starters from 17 different countries. In 2014, the Streif Vertical Up once again saw amazing interest in those coveted starting positions. The 200 slots in the Speed Division were filled within 60 minutes, having to be expanded to 250. In total, almost 700 starters will be participating in the 4th Streif Vertical Up. In 2015 1.000 starters will be participanting the Streif Vertical Up.
This increase in starters just goes to show how athletes are growing steadily more excited by this event. Needless to say, our team is very proud to have gained such a good reputation within such a short period of time.
The OK-Team will, of course, continue to do its best to maintain and enhance the quality and unique spirit of the VERTICAL UP in future as well.
- Dec. 2010 – The idea of the “Streif Vertical Up” is born
- 25.2.2011 – 1st Streif Vertical Up with 191 participants
- 25.2.2012 – 2nd Streif Vertical Up with 333 starters
- 2012 – The “Vertical Up” brand is trademarked
- 23.2.2013 – 3rd Streif Vertical Up with 429 starters from 17 nations
- 22.2.2014 – 4th Händlmaier Streif Vertical Up with 664 entrants
- 28.2.2015– 5th Händlmaier Streif Vertical Up with 1.000 entrants
- 27.2.2016 – 6th Händlmaier Streif Vertical Up
Registration starts: 10.10.2016, 20:16
Registration Streif Vertical Up
Registration deadline: Sunday, 16.02. at 8 p.m.
- Registration deadline: Sunday, 16.02. at 8 p.m.
- Entry fee is Rucksack Division 35 Euro, Speed Division 45 Euro
- LimitSpeed Division: 400 starters
- LimitRucksack Division: ca. 600 starters
- If your division is already full, we will put you on the waiting list. If anyone cancels or fails to pay their entrance fee on time, you will automatically be moved up the list!
- You can withdraw from the race up to 4 weeks prior to the race date – after this, the registration fee cannot be refunded !