The goal of the VAL GARDENA-GRÖDEN VERTICAL UP is to conquer the original Worldcup-Track, which spans 2,400 meters and 600 vertical meters, vertically and as quickly as possible.
The “kicker” to the whole story are the rules– in fact, there are none!
The choice of equipment is free as long as everything is powered by your own strength(no motors), as is the choice of route, on the Worldcup-track.
- Runners with spikes have an advantage, just as long as the course is hard and provides a firm grip …
- Cross-country skiers using skins have an advantage, but without the right technique …
- Ski mountaineers / ski tourers have an advantage, but can they get out enough of an advantage when they come to steeper terrain …
- Racers on snowshoes and crampons: have an advantage, but can they convert that into speed on flatter ground …
THE BEST ENDURANCE; BEST TECHNIQUE TOGETHER WITH THE BEST EQUIPMENT WILL ULTIMATELY WIN!
Date: Saturday 27th January 2018, 6:30 p.m.
Divisions: “Speed Division” and “Rucksack Division”
Course Name: Saslong-Worldcup-Track
Starting elevation: 1.410 m
Finishing elevation: 2.000 m
Elevation gain: 590 vertical meters
Course length: 2,385
Average gradient: 24,5 %
Max./Min. gradient: 56,9 % / 11,2 %
Lighting: head lights, while the course hotspots are well illuminated
Suggested equipment: touring skis, cross-country skis, running shoes with spikes, crampons, snowshoes, ski poles, barefoot,…
This division is the ultimate discipline in the VAL GARDENA-GRÖDEN VERTICAL UP!
Each athlete has to cope with the original, legendary Saslong ski run as quickly as possible, with a free choice of equipment. Everything is allowed, as long as racers use nothing but the strength of their own muscles.
Timekeeping and official standings: YES
Prizes: men’s/women’s divisions / gift certificates, starter package
This division is the most fun competition in the VAL GARDENA-GRÖDEN VERTICAL UP!
Each participant gets to take on the track at their own tempo, using whatever equipment they prefer.
Only condition: They must carry a rucksack incl. contents (or however much is left over) all the way to the finish line.
Timekeeping and official standings: timekeeping only, final results are posted alphabetically. Winners are those participants who finish closest to the average time clocked by all starters!
Prizes: Starter Package incl. rucksack contents
This year, once again, there will be a super grand prize! (in recent years: a weekend of ski touring or mountain biking, 2 nights for 2 people at a 4**** hotel, Suunto Ambit3)
Who is the fastest in the Speed Division from South Tyrol? – Who will be crowned Vertical Up District Winner.
Participants with the most original costumes receive a great prize: Bergzeit coupons, Huber Zwickl beer, ….
Important: All participants who wish to be considered in the final results have to register at the race office by no later than 5 p.m. on Saturday!
Super Throphy Vertical Up Gröden_Madonna di Campiglio/Pinzolo:
Take the challenge and beat the Saslong and the Tulot Audi quattro. Among all participants of both races will be drawn excellent prizes.
Race office/race bib distribution:
Friday 26.01. from 5 p.m. – 8 p.m. and Saturday 27.01. 10 a.m. – 5 p.m. in the race office. Please be sure to bring your registration confirmation and liability disclaimer to check-in!
Results list: You can track results live on the Internet – Times appear immediately after crossing the finish! –> LIVE TIMEKEEPING
Timekeeping chip: all-Inclusive – total cost is included in the entry fee!
The chip is integrated into the actual starting number. IMPORTANT: Don’t mistake your starting number for a luggage tag!!!
- Head light (the most important sections of the course are lit up)
- Rucksack (for the “Rucksack Division”)
- Optional: Snowline spikes
Starter Package: We are again putting together a great starter package for all race entrants. You are guaranteed to be pleasantly surprised!
Arrival: click to go to the route planner – free parking is available at the cable car station from 12 p.m. (noon)
Spectators/Support Personnel: please refer to “Spectator info”
Race briefing: 6:15 p.m. in the starting area, mandatory attendance.
- Leave bags by no later than 6 p.m. in the drop-off next to the race-office
- Distributed at Restaurant Sochers
- Property must be identified by a tag/number from the starter package (not liable for damage/loss)
- Please do not hang anything on the outside of the rucksack!
Start: 6:30 p.m. at the finish from the Saslong-Worldcuptrack
Start: 6:30 p.m. at the finish from the Saslong-Worldcuptrack
- In the finish area: Pasta and a drink
- Please separate the food & drink ticket from your luggage tag!
Changing clothes: opportunity at the Restaurants
Prize ceremony: ca. 8:30 p.m. at the Restaurant Sochers (attendance required – prizes will only be awarded to those who are present). Prize money may be issued only with identity card.
Ride down the mountain: Only in the cable car – last lift departs at 10:00 p.m. (free for all participants). Returning to the valley on skis or using other sporting equipment is strictly prohibited and will result in a life-long ban from the Vertical Up!
- Lift fare for this evening € 5,00per person (round trip) available directly at the Hössbahn ticket window
- Season passes are not accepted!!!
- Lift runs up the mountain from 6 until 8 p.m., last ride down is at 10:00 p.m.
- Start: Finish Saslong-Worldcuptrack 6:30 p.m.
- Hot spots for spectators: at the Start and the Finish Hotel Sochers
- Prizes awarded in Hotel Restaurant Sochers at about 8:30 p.m.
- Free parkingright by the cablecar from 12pm (noon)
PLEASE NOTE!! The first athletes are expected at the finish at around 6:50 p.m.
|6 – 8 p.m.||Lift rides up the mountain for support personnel & spectators||Mountain lift Saslong|
|6.30 p.m.||Start of both race divisions||Start area|
|6.50 p.m.||Racers in the 1st Speed Division begin to arrive||Finish area|
|8.30 p.m.||Prize ceremony||Hotel Restaurant Sochers|
|10.00 p.m.||Last lift ride down the valley||Mountain lift Saslong|
Registration starts: Autumn 2017
Registration Val Gardena-Gröden Vertical Up
Registration deadline: 14.01. at 8 p.m.
Price: Backpack Division € 35,00 / Speed Division € 45,00
You can also registrate at the 26.01. 5pm-8pm and at the 27.01., 10 a.m. – 5 p.m. at the race office in the starting area with a surcharge of 10€.