The goal of the WENGEN VERTICAL UP is to conquer the original “Lauberhorn–Worldcup-track”, which spans 4,480 meters and 1.020 vertical meters, vertically and as quickly as possible.
The “kicker” to the whole story is the rules – in fact, there are none!
The choice of equipment is open so long as everything is powered by your own muscles (no motors), as is the choice of route, on the Worldcup-track!
- Runners with spikes have an advantage, just as long as the course is hard and provides a firm grip …
- Cross-country skiers using skins have an advantage, but without the right technique …
- Ski mountaineers / ski tourers have an advantage, but can they eke out enough of an advantage when they come to steeper terrain …
- Racers on snowshoes and crampons: have an advantage, but can they convert that into speed on flatter ground …
THE BEST ENDURANCE; BEST TECHNIQUE TOGETHER WITH THE BEST EQUIPMENT WILL ULTIMATELY WIN!
Registration starts: 10.10.2016 at 20:16
Registration Wengen Vertical Up
Registration deadline: 18.03. at 8 p.m.
Date: Saturday 25. March 2017, 2:30 p.m.
Divisions: “Speed Division” and “Rucksack Division”
Course Name: Lauberhorn-Worldcup-Track
Starting elevation: 1.278 m
Finishing elevation: 2.315 m
Elevation gain: 1.028 vertical meters
Course length: 4.480 m
Average gradient: 25 %
Max./Min. gradient: 41 % / 6 %
Suggested equipment: touring skis, cross-country skis, running shoes with spikes, crampons, snowshoes, ski poles, barefoot,…
This division is the ultimate discipline in the WENGEN VERTICAL UP.
Each athlete takes on the original, legendary Wengen ski run as quickly as possible, with a free choice of equipment. Everything is allowed, as long as racers use nothing but the strength of their own muscles.
Timekeeping and official standings: YES
Prizes: men’s/women’s divisions / gift certificates, starter package
This division is the most fun competition in the WENGEN VERTICAL UP… The Battle on the Lauberhorn!
Each participant gets to take on the track at their own tempo, using whatever equipment they prefer.
Only condition: They must carry a rucksack incl. contents (or however much is left over) all the way to the finish line.
Timekeeping and official standings: timekeeping only, final results are posted alphabetically. Winners are those participants who finish closest to the average time clocked by all starters!
Prizes: Starter Package incl. rucksack contents
This year, once again, there will be a super grand prize! (in recent years: a weekend of ski touring or mountain biking, 2 nights for 2 people at a 4**** hotel, Suunto Ambit3)
Team/club with the most starters in the entire field wins.
Participants with the most original costumes receive a great prize: Bergzeit coupons, Huber Zwickl beer, ….
Important: All participants who wish to be considered in the final results have to register at the race office by no later than 5 p.m. on Saturday!
Start numbers/starter packages can be picked up on Friday from 2 – 6 p.m. and Saturday from 8:30 a.m. – 2 p.m.!
Race office: Friday 18.03. 2 – 6 p.m., Saturday 19.03. 8:30 a.m. – 2 p.m.; Distance race office-start about 20 minutes.
Results list: You can track results live on the Internet – Times appear immediately after crossing the finish! –> LIVE TIMEKEEPING
Timekeeping chip: all-Inclusive – total cost is included in the entry fee!
The chip is integrated into the actual starting number. IMPORTANT: Don’t mistake your starting number for a luggage tag!!!
- Rucksack (for the “Rucksack Division”)
Starter Package: We are again putting together a great starter package for all race entrants. You are guaranteed to be pleasantly surprised!
Arrival: click to go to the route planner – parking in Lauterbrunnen
Spectators/Support Personnel: please refer to “Spectator info”
Race briefing: 2:15 p.m. in the starting area, mandatory attendance.
- bags should be not bigger than 20 liter
- Leave bags by no later than 1:30 p.m. at the tourist board
- bags are in the finishing area
- Property must be identified by a tag/number from the starter package (not liable for damage/loss)
- Please do not hang anything on the outside of the rucksack!
Start: 2:30 p.m. at the Lauberhorn finish area
Course: original Lauberhorn-track
- In the finish area (at the teepee tent): Red Bull and tea
- Please separate the food & drink ticket from your luggage tag!
Prize ceremony: ca. 7:00 p.m. at the tent next to the tourist board in Wengen (attendance required – prizes will only be awarded to those who are present)
Ride down the mountain: with the skis or with the chairlift from the Lauberhorn to the kleine Scheidegg and back with the train to Wengen.
- Always on top of the action with the help of our emcee Daniel Gruber
- Start: Lauberhorn finish area 2:30 p.m.
- Hot spots for spectators: Start, finish area, Hundsschopf
- Prizes awarded in beginning at the tent next to the tourist board in Wengen about 7:00 p.m.
PLEASE NOTE!! The first athletes are expected at the finish at around 3 p.m.
|2.15 p.m.||Race briefing in the starting area, mandatory attendance||Start area|
|2.30 p.m.||Start of both race divisions||Start area|
|3.00 p.m.||Racers in the 1st Speed Division begin to arrive||Finish area|
|7.00 p.m.||Prize ceremony||tent next to the tourist board|
|7.30 p.m.||After-Race-Party||tent next to the tourist board|
Registration starts: 10.10.,2016, 20:16
Registration Wengen Vertical Up
Registration deadline: 20.03. at 8 p.m.
- Registration deadline: 20.03. at 8 p.m.
- Entry fee is Rucksack Division 45 SFR, Speed Division 55 SFR
- LimitSpeed Division: 400 starters
- LimitRucksack Division: ca. 600 starters
- If your division is already full, we will put you on the waiting list. If anyone cancels or fails to pay their entrance fee on time, you will automatically be moved up the list!
- You can withdraw from the race up to 4 weeks prior to the race date – after this, the registration fee cannot be refunded !